On March 26, individuals from throughout the globe are requested to put on purple and lift consciousness about epilepsy (Consultant Picture).  |  Photo Credit score: iStock Photographs
- The world celebrates Purple Day to boost consciousness round epilepsy
- A number of myths encompass epilepsy because of the lack of dialog round it
New Delhi: Epilepsy is a illness that impacts greater than 50 million individuals the world over. In India, itself, round 12 million individuals undergo from the illness. Whilst epilepsy is as widespread as it’s, not lots is thought about it. Folks chorus from dialog with regards to the illness and therefore, a number of misconceptions are additionally related to it.
Purple Day is one such effort that intends to boost consciousness about epilepsy. It was based in 2008, when 9-year-old Cassidy Megan of Nova Scotia, Canada, with the assistance of the Epilepsy Affiliation of Nova Scotia. On March 26, individuals from throughout the globe are requested to put on purple and lift consciousness about epilepsy.
Lavender is the worldwide color for epilepsy. The lavender flower additionally symbolises solitude, which represents the sensation of isolation typically battled by epilepsy sufferers. In 2009, the Anita Kaufmann Basis and Epilepsy Affiliation of Nova Scotia joined palms and launched Purple Day.
Listed here are 5 myths related to epilepsy
- Folks with epilepsy are mentally-ill: Epilepsy covers many forms of seizures and epileptic problems. Whereas it’s a purposeful and bodily downside, it isn’t a psychological dysfunction.
- Folks with epilepsy should not good: Epilepsy doesn’t have an effect on the affected person’s skill to suppose. Nonetheless, it have to be famous that in some seizures, the flexibility to suppose may be affected.
- It’s simple to inform when a seizure occurs: The affected person can not predict when he/she is having a seizure. The individual can really feel a short sensation inside seconds of a seizure.
- You need to pressure one thing into the mouth of the individual having a seizure: Don’t put something into the mouth of an individual having a seizure. Doing this may trigger an damage as effectively. Roll the individual to 1 facet, hold him/her at a secure distance from close by objects and let the seizure cross.
- Epilepsy is genetic: Docs say that folks with some types of epilepsy are at the next danger for growing it. The danger, nonetheless, could be very low. It have to be famous that single gene issues not often trigger epilepsy.