So Election Day is over, however the election continues.
The world’s consideration has turned to a set of swing states nonetheless counting necessary mail-in votes, significantly Pennsylvania. So what precisely is going on at this time? How are counts taking place? Is the election honest and safe?
“I urge everybody to stay affected person,” Pennsylvania Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar mentioned in a press convention at this time, “We’re going to precisely rely each single poll.”
“The vote rely, as I’ve mentioned many occasions, is rarely finished on the day of election evening. The counties are doing this precisely as shortly as they probably can.”
Throughout the state, mail-in ballots postmarked on or earlier than Election Day are nonetheless arriving—don’t neglect there have been important postal delays—and so counting continues. The Republican state legislature declined to vary Pennsylvania legislation, which meant that processing of over 2.5 million mail-in votes might solely start on Tuesday morning, whereas different states began the method a lot earlier. So the processing begins later, the counting begins later, and the work is bigger for mail-in ballots.
“The sensible labor related to mail-in ballots has extra steps than in-person voting,” mentioned Eddie Perez, a Texas-based election administration knowledgeable with the nonpartisan OSET Institute. However, he added, “Each in human and know-how options, there’s a number of safeguards for mail-in ballots.”
Right here’s a concise however thorough rundown of the counting, safety, and integrity course of proper now in Pennsylvania:
- Ballots and envelopes had been despatched out solely to registered and verified voters who requested them.
- Election officers obtain the poll and envelope inside three days of Election Day—though this deadline could also be challenged by Republicans.
- Officers confirm that every poll is related to the precise, eligible voter on the rolls.
- Ballots are validated with voter information in precisely the identical manner as in-person votes.
- To forestall fraud, every poll and envelope has computer-readable codes and actual bodily options like type, dimension, weight, and design that enable the computer systems to determine which particular elections, precincts, content material, and extra validation data the vote applies to.
- Signatures on the poll envelopes are matched towards a central database by bipartisan groups.
- Envelopes are opened and paperwork eliminated in a particular and legally-mandated process.
- Ballots that fail to go these safety measures are despatched for additional investigation, or for follow-up with the voter.
A long time of historical past, unbiased examine, and these additional safety steps clarify why mail-in ballots are usually not simply inclined to fraud, and why makes an attempt to color them as frail are baseless disinformation, a false narrative propagated before everything by the president of america. In a long time of accelerating mail-in voting round america, widespread fraud is nonexistent.
The Trump marketing campaign, having now misplaced in the important thing swing state of Wisconsin, has mentioned it is going to sue in Michigan and Pennsylvania to cease the continuing counting of ballots, whereas falsely claiming victory regardless of many votes nonetheless remaining uncounted. Votes counted earlier within the course of favor Trump, whereas the mail-in votes from Democratic areas which are nonetheless being counted are anticipated to favor Biden.
The counting in Pennsylvania might keep on by means of Friday.