21 C
New York
Friday, April 4, 2025
pCloud Premium

U.K. teenager pleads guilty to murdering three young girls at Taylor Swift themed dance party



250120 southport mb 1320 35d8c6

A British teenager on Monday unexpectedly pleaded guilty to charges of murdering three young girls in a knife attack in northern England in July, a crime that horrified the nation and was followed by days of nationwide rioting.

Axel Rudakubana, 18, changed his pleas from not guilty to guilty on what was due to be the first day of his trial at Liverpool Crown Court.

He pleaded guilty to the murder of Bebe King, 6, Elsie Dot Stancombe, 7, and Alice Dasilva Aguiar, 9, who were at a Taylor Swift-themed dance event being held for children in the summer vacation in the town of Southport last July.

Rudakubana also pleaded guilty to 10 charges of attempted murder relating to the attack, as well as to producing the deadly poison ricin and the possession of an Al Qaeda training manual.

Judge Julian Goose said he would sentence Rudakubana on Thursday and that a life jail term was inevitable. Goose noted that the victims’ families were not present to see Rudakubana plead guilty as the prosecution opening was not expected until Tuesday.

Rudakubana, who was 17 at the time of the incident, initially refused to speak when asked to confirm his name, as he had at all previous hearings which meant that not guilty pleas had been entered on his behalf in December.

But, after consulting with his lawyer, he confirmed he wished to change those pleas.

British-born Rudakubana was arrested shortly after the attack in the quiet seaside town north of the city of Liverpool.

Despite the discovery of the Al Qaeda manual, police have said the incident was not being treated as terrorism-related.

In the wake of the murders, large disturbances broke out in Southport after false reports spread on social media that the suspected killer was a radical Islamist migrant.

Those disturbances spread across Britain with attacks on mosques and hotels housing asylum seekers, with Prime Minister Keir Starmer blaming the riots on far-right thuggery. More than 1,500 people were arrested.



Source link

Odisha Expo
Odisha Expohttps://www.odishaexpo.com
Odisha Expo is one of the Largest News Aggregator of Odisha, Stay Updated about the latest news with Odisha Expo from around the world. Stay hooked for more updates.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
Best Lifetime Deals on SaaSspot_img

Latest Articles

Ange Postecoglou – fan jeers and a cupped ear: Is Tottenham head coach feeling...

0
Tottenham head coach Ange Postecoglou is looking more isolated than ever.The Australian directed a brief clap towards the furious travelling away fans from...

Trump backs remote voting for new parents amid House GOP impasse

0
President Donald Trump backed an effort Thursday to allow remote voting by House lawmakers who are new parents, directly inserting himself into a...

Final Four: Why this 'uncommon' UCLA team has worked out (and dominated) this college...

0
Final Four: Why this 'uncommon' UCLA team has worked out (and dominated) this college basketball season  Yahoo Sports Source link

Senate Republicans vote to advance a massive budget blueprint for Trump’s agenda

0
WASHINGTON — The Republican-led Senate voted 52-48 on Thursday to begin debate on a budget blueprint for a multitrillion-dollar package to pass President...

King Charles urged to step back from royal duties after hospitalisation over cancer treatment...

0
King Charles has been advised to scale back his royal duties following a brief hospitalisation due to temporary side effects from his cancer...