16.9 C
New York
Saturday, April 5, 2025
pCloud Premium

Rwanda-backed rebels take second major city in DRC


Rwanda-backed rebels reached the center of east Congo’s second largest city, Bukavu, on Sunday morning and took control of the South Kivu province administrative office after little resistance from government forces, many of whom fled the rebels’ advance.

Associated Press journalists witnessed scores of residents cheering on the M23 rebels in central Bukavu on Sunday morning as they walked and drove around the city center after a dayslong march from the region’s major city of Goma 63 miles away, which they captured late last month. Several parts of the city, however, remained deserted with residents indoors.

The M23 rebels are the most prominent of more than 100 armed groups vying for control of Congo’s mineral-rich east, and are supported by some 4,000 troops from neighboring Rwanda, according to the U.N.

Rwandan-backed M23 called its first public meeting on Thursday since seizing the Congolese city of Goma after deadly clashes, as its fighters advanced towards another regional capital.
M23 soldiers frisk residents queuing to enter the Unity Stadium in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, last week during a public gathering called by the armed group. Jospin Mwisha / AFP via Getty Images

It was not clear if the rebels had taken decisive control of the city of about 1.3 million people. Their presence in central Bukavu is an unprecedented expansion of the rebels’ reach in their yearslong fighting with Congolese forces. Unlike in 2012 when they only seized Goma in the fighting connected to ethnic tension, analysts have said the rebels this time are eyeing political power.

Many Congolese soldiers were seen on Saturday fleeing the rebels’ advance into Bukavu alongside thousands of civilians amid widespread looting and panic.

Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi held a security meeting in the faraway capital of Kinshasa, where officials noted that Bukavu was “briefly” invaded by M23 but remains under the control of the Congolese army and allies from local militia, the presidency said on X. There were no signs of fighting or of Congolese forces in most parts of Bukavu on Sunday.

Tshisekedi has warned of the risk of a regional expansion of the conflict. Congo’s forces are being supported in Bukavu by troops from Burundi and in Goma by troops from South Africa.

People carry their belongings.
People displaced by fighting between M23 rebels and government soldiers leave their camp in Goma on rebel orders on Tuesday.Moses Sawasawa / AP

Burundi’s president, Evariste Ndayishimiye, appeared to suggest his country will not retaliate in the fighting. In a post on X he said that “those people who were ready to get profit of the armed attack of Rwanda to Burundi will not see this.”

The Congo River Alliance, a coalition of rebel groups that includes M23, said it was committed to “defending the people of Bukavu” in a Saturday statement that did not acknowledge their presence in the city. “We call on the population to remain in control of their city and not give in to panic,” Lawrence Kanyuka, the alliance’s spokesperson, said in a statement.

The fighting in Congo has connections with a decadeslong ethnic conflict. M23 says it is defending ethnic Tutsis in Congo. Rwanda has claimed the Tutsis are being persecuted by Hutus and former militias responsible for the 1994 genocide of 800,000 Tutsis and others in Rwanda. Many Hutus fled to Congo after the genocide and founded the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda militia group. Rwanda says the group is “fully integrated” into the Congolese military, which denies the charges.



Source link

Odisha Expo
Odisha Expohttps://www.odishaexpo.com
Odisha Expo is one of the Largest News Aggregator of Odisha, Stay Updated about the latest news with Odisha Expo from around the world. Stay hooked for more updates.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
Best Lifetime Deals on SaaSspot_img

Latest Articles

Tour Championship: John Higgins into final after 10-7 win over Barry Hawkins in Manchester

0
John Higgins booked his place in the final of the Tour Championship with a 10-7 victory over Barry Hawkins in Manchester.With the scores...

Prosecutors seek 7 years in prison for George Santos in fraud case

0
Prosecutors are seeking more than seven years in prison for disgraced former congressman George Santos after he pleaded guilty to federal fraud and identity theft...

Final Four 2025 live updates, scores: Texas vs. South Carolina for a spot in...

0
Final Four 2025 live updates, scores: Texas vs. South Carolina for a spot in the NCAA tournament final  Yahoo Sports Source link

Retirees ‘stunned’ as market turmoil over tariffs shrinks their 401(k)s

0
Americans nearing retirement and recent retirees said they were anxious and frustrated following a second day of market turmoil that hit their...

Massive Steam Plume Spotted at Alaska’s Mount Spurr as Volcano May Erupt Soon

0
A large steam plume has been seen emerging from Mount Spurr in Alaska, signalling increased volcanic activity. Images shared by the Alaska Volcano...