1. Writing about layoffs at sports activities media firms is all the time dicey. Each firm has them. Sports activities Illustrated has had extra rounds of layoffs over the 20 years I’ve labored right here than I care to recollect.
Each firm goes by way of ups and downs, and, on the finish of the day, all of them wish to make as a lot cash as attainable. Sadly, it’s a part of the enterprise, and it’s a must to settle for that it’s going to occur.
Nevertheless, once you see that the NFL, which prints cash, is having huge layoffs, based on a former worker, it’s onerous to not be disgusted. It’s one factor to have a small spherical of layoffs, however one former NFL Media worker contends that the corporate has laid off 132 individuals not too long ago.
One other NFL Media worker tweeted final week about getting laid off after seven years with the corporate.
Longtime NFL author Jim Trotter, who at the moment works at NFL Media, summed up the scenario completely.
A reminder: In late March, the NFL signed yearly offers of $1 billion with Amazon, $2.1 billion with CBS, $2.7 billion with ESPN, $2.2 billion with Fox and $2 billion with NBC.
But the NFL can’t discover cash to pay 132 workers whereas we’re both coming off of or in the midst of a pandemic?
UPDATE: An NFL spokesperson handed alongside this assertion to SI:
“Each offseason, NFL Media makes staffing changes for the upcoming season, which ends up in some positions being eradicated–nowhere close to the wildly inaccurate determine circulating on social media–and a few being employed, which we count on to announce within the very close to future. What we’ve got seen this summer season isn’t markedly totally different than in earlier off-seasons.”
2. NFL Community host Wealthy Eisen shared a strong and sobering message Thursday about COVID-19 and getting vaccinated.
3. Giannis’s postgame press convention, throughout which he defined why he left the court docket within the first quarter of Wednesday night time’s NBA Finals recreation, was as entertaining as his amazing blocked shot.
4. The WWE has all the time executed an outstanding job with their video packages. This promo to rejoice the corporate going again on the highway and doing reveals in entrance of followers once more starting Friday is extraordinarily nicely executed.
5. Travis Kelce not too long ago revealed that the world has been saying his final title incorrectly for his whole profession, which was a shock to even his teammates.
6. The newest SI Media Podcast options an interview with ESPN’s Sean McDonough. The veteran play-by-play man talks about why he wished the job because the community’s lead NHL voice, why it did not work out for him calling Monday Evening Soccer, whether or not he feels underrated amongst elite play-by-play broadcasters, his well-known voice cracks and far more.
You can too watch the SI Media Podcast on YouTube.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: Shout-out to the MLB Reddit web page for reminding me of this seven-year-old video.
You’ll want to catch up on past editions of Traina Thoughts and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Stitcher. You can too comply with Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.