19.7 C
New York
Saturday, April 5, 2025
pCloud Premium

Man accused of fatally setting New York City subway rider on fire indicted on murder and arson charges



241224 Sebastian Zapeta Calil se 204p 809967

The man accused of killing a New York City subway rider by setting her on fire was indicted Friday on four counts of murder and one count of arson, prosecutors announced.

Sebastian Zapeta-Calil, 33, a Guatemalan citizen, had been charged by police with first-degree murder, second-degree murder and first-degree arson in connection with setting the woman on fire as she was sleeping on a stationary F train at the Stillwell Avenue Subway Station the morning of Dec. 22. 

She was declared dead at the scene. A vigil was held Thursday for the woman, who has been yet to be identified. 

On Friday, Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez announced Zapeta-Calil was indicted by a grand jury on one count of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder as well as one count of first-degree arson. 

The first-degree murder charge carries the possibility of life without parole. 

Gonzalez said the indictment will be unsealed in court on Jan. 7, when he’ll be arraigned. 

Zapeta-Calil appeared on Tuesday in Brooklyn court and was remanded back to custody. He did not enter a plea.

During that hearing, a prosecutor said the suspect allegedly set the woman on fire with a lighter. Once she was engulfed in flames, he allegedly continued “fanning the flames with a shirt.” Zapeta-Calil later told police that “he drinks a lot of liquor” and “doesn’t know what happened,” the prosecutor added.

Zapeta-Calil is in the U.S. unlawfully and had been previously deported, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said. 

He entered the country in Sonoita, Arizona, on June 1, 2018 and was removed from the U.S. and returned to Guatemala days later on June 7, 2018. 

It’s not known where or when he unlawfully re-entered the country, ICE said. Federal officials said they will file a request for Zapeta-Calil to be turned over to ICE after the criminal case against him is over.

In the Sunday attack, Zapeta-Calil allegedly “calmly” approached the woman as she was sleeping and used a lighter to ignite her clothes, New York Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch previously said. He then left the subway and sat on a platform bench and was captured on the body camera of a responding officer.

That image was then posted to the public in a wanted flier. Hours later three high school-aged riders saw him on the train and called 911 and he was taken into custody. 

Though officials have not identified the victim, the Medical Examiner determined her death was a homicide and the cause were “thermal injuries and smoke inhalation,” according to court documents.



Source link

Odisha Expo
Odisha Expohttps://www.odishaexpo.com
Odisha Expo is one of the Largest News Aggregator of Odisha, Stay Updated about the latest news with Odisha Expo from around the world. Stay hooked for more updates.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
Best Lifetime Deals on SaaSspot_img

Latest Articles

Athletics world watching as ‘Grand Slam Track’ prepares for launch – Sport

0
KINGSTON: What is being billed as a “revolution” for the sport of athletics gets under way in Kingston on Friday with the...

Judges rip Trump administration for litigation tactics

0
Judges showed some frustration this week with how the Trump administration has been defending itself in court, with one saying it appeared to...

LSG vs MI | Hardik’s fifer not enough as disciplined Lucknow thrash Mumbai in...

0
‌After back-to-back defeats followed by a win in their previous outing, Mumbai Indians skipper Hardik Pandya won the toss and opted to bowl...

Supreme Court allows Trump to terminate teacher training grants

0
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Friday allowed the Trump administration to terminate Education Department grants for teacher training that officials deemed to...

Rocky Flintoff: Lancashire batter to miss early part of season with back injury

0
Lancashire batter Rocky Flintoff will miss the first part of the County Championship season because of a back injury.The county say the 16-year-old...