17.8 C
New York
Friday, April 4, 2025
pCloud Premium

Israel and Hamas in talks to double the number of hostages released this weekend


JERUSALEM — Israel is preparing to receive six hostages Saturday, in addition to a number of captives’ bodies to be delivered from Gaza on Thursday, a source briefed on the talks told NBC News on Monday.

Talks mediated by Qatar and Egypt are ongoing, said the source, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, and would involve Israel sending in a number of temporary housing structures into the besieged Palestinian enclave.

That would be more than the number of Israeli hostages that have been released every Saturday since the ceasefire was agreed on Jan. 19. So far, Hamas has sent the names of those to be released on the Friday before the exchange, which has also involved the freeing of dozens of Palestinian detainees and prisoners.

The source said there were also discussions about handing over the bodies of deceased hostages on Thursday.

People and friends await for the helicopter with the
People await the return of Israeli hostages at Sheba hospital in Ramat Gan, Israel on Saturday.Sharon Eilon / SOPA/LightRocket via Getty Images

Six live hostages and eight dead ones remain out of the 33 due to be released in the first phase of the three-part ceasefire deal Hamas and Israel agreed to on Jan. 19.

Israel’s security cabinet earlier met to discuss the second phase of ceasefire, even as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu voiced his support for President Donald Trump‘s controversial plan to take over Gaza.

Gaza-Hostages-Swap-Deal-February-15
Palestinian prisoners arrive in Gaza through the Kerem Shalom crossing in Khan Younis, southern Gaza on Saturday.Abood Abusalama / Middle East Images / AFP via Getty

Following a call with Trump’s special envoy for the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, Netanyahu instructed Israel’s negotiating team to depart for the Egyptian capital of Cairo to discuss the “continuation of the implementation” of the first stage of the deal, the Israeli leader’s office said in a statement Sunday.

Netanyahu’s office said the negotiating team would receive “instructions for the continuation of negotiations on Phase B issues” after the Israeli security cabinet’s discussion on the matter. The prime minister’s office also pushed back on reports suggesting Israel had dispatched the negotiating team under U.S. pressure.



Source link

Odisha Expo
Odisha Expohttps://www.odishaexpo.com
Odisha Expo is one of the Largest News Aggregator of Odisha, Stay Updated about the latest news with Odisha Expo from around the world. Stay hooked for more updates.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
Best Lifetime Deals on SaaSspot_img

Latest Articles

Aintree 2025: Jonbon wins Melling Chase for Nico de Boinville and Nicky Henderson

0
Odds-on favourite Jonbon won the Melling Chase on day two of the Grand National meeting at Aintree. The nine-year-old, who was 4-6 favourite,...

Ja Morant fined $75,000 by NBA for repeated finger gun gestures

0
Memphis Grizzlies star Ja Morant is facing a $75,000 fine from the NBA after making finger gun gestures twice during Thursday night's game...

De Bruyne says he will leave Man City at end of season – Sport

0
Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne confirmed on Friday that he will leave the club at the end of the season. De Bruyne, 33,...

GOP concerns about tax cut strategy and Medicaid loom over Senate budget

0
WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans managed to proceed to debate their massive budget plan Thursday night, but not before an unexpected delay caused by...

‌LSG vs MI | Twitter reacts to regretful Boult as lack of appeal cost...

0
Like their previous game, Hardik Pandya, the Mumbai Indians captain, opted to field first against the Lucknow Super Giants. Eyeing to extract lateral...