CHARLOTTE, N.C.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Hyperion Metals Restricted (ASX: HYM) (“Hyperion” or “the Firm”) is happy to announce that it has entered into an settlement with Blacksand Know-how, LLC (“Blacksand”) to analyze the industrial growth of spherical titanium steel powders utilizing the GSD know-how and an choice to enter into an unique license settlement for the patents related to the know-how (“the Agreements”).
This follows from the earlier settlement with Blacksand for the HAMR know-how (refer ASX announcement dated 15 February 2021) which when mixed with GSD and Hyperion’s Titan Venture, has the potential to offer a sustainable, zero carbon, low-cost and absolutely built-in titanium spherical steel powder provide chain within the USA.
- Hyperion has secured the unique rights to the patented Granulation-Sintering-Deoxygenation (“GSD”) know-how developed by Dr. Z. Zak Fang for producing zero carbon, low-cost spherical titanium powders.
GSD provides main benefits within the manufacturing of spherical titanium to be used in 3D printing, together with:
- Manufacturing of titanium and titanium alloy powders with low oxygen, controllable particle dimension and wonderful flowability
- Greater manufacturing yields than present processes, resulting in considerably decrease prices
- Power environment friendly course of resulting in a zero carbon course of when coupled with renewable energy
- Skill to make the most of decrease value and sustainable feedstocks together with recycled titanium steel powders/scrap or HAMR titanium powders
- The mixture of manufacturing titanium steel by way of the HAMR course of adopted by the manufacturing of titanium spherical powders by way of the GSD course of has the potential to considerably scale back the entire value of titanium powders for 3D printing, opening up many potential new markets.
- The mixture of those applied sciences has the potential to disrupt not simply the excessive worth titanium metals and powders market, but in addition the far bigger aluminum and stainless-steel markets.
Dr. Fang is a Professor of Metallurgy on the College of Utah. The HAMR and GSD applied sciences had been developed, partly, with the monetary help offered by the Superior Analysis Venture Company-Power (ARPA-E) of the US Division of Power from 2014-2019:
- Dr. Fang is a pacesetter in international superior supplies and manufacturing applied sciences for power manufacturing, storage, and effectivity functions and is the only or co-inventor on greater than 50 U.S. patents
- ARPA-E has offered over US$2.6 billion in R&D funding for greater than 1,000 probably transformational power know-how tasks
- ARPA-E analyzes and catalogues among the Company’s most profitable tasks by way of its “Influence Sheets,” which discover a variety of particular person tasks and their achievements
- The Influence Sheet for the HAMR and GSD applied sciences is accessible right here: https://arpa-e.energy.gov/impact-sheet/university-utah-metals
- Additional growth and optimization of titanium merchandise from the HAMR and GSD applied sciences has occurred subsequent to the ARPA-E funded actions
The Firm is making important progress with Dr. Fang and his workforce in Utah on each the HAMR and GSD applied sciences and expects to make key updates, together with:
- HAMR powder manufacturing utilizing the corporate’s titanium minerals from the Titan venture
- Graduation of GSD powder manufacturing from HAMR titanium powders and/or titanium recycled scrap
- Techno-economic evaluation for the dimensions up of manufacturing of titanium steel and powders
Commenting on the settlement, Mr. Anastasios Arima, CEO and MD of Hyperion Metals, stated:
“Titanium steel is the superior steel for a variety of superior functions, from aerospace to protection, and it must also be the logical selection for industrial and civilian functions. Titanium’s widespread adoption has been held again in sectors akin to client items and electrical autos because of its excessive value.
The mixture of the patented HAMR and GSD applied sciences along with advances in 3D printing provides a pathway to dramatically scale back the fee and carbon emissions of titanium steel parts. Moreover, latest research by the Fraunhofer Institute have proven that the fabrication of titanium elements utilizing laser powder-bed additive (a 3D printing method), emits roughly 70% much less CO2 than equal manufacturing by conventional milling processes.
Hyperion’s imaginative and prescient is to make the most of these sustainable applied sciences and speed up the speedy penetration of titanium in present and widespread functions in subsequent era mobility. The sunshine weighting of vans, trains, drones and electrical autos will result in a quantum leap within the power effectivity of those autos and will probably be giant, excessive development new markets for titanium.
We goal to scale and commercialize these breakthrough applied sciences, make the US the worldwide chief in titanium manufacturing and ship technological management for in titanium functions for aerospace, house and protection.”
Commenting on the settlement, Dr. Z. Zak Fang stated:
“We look ahead to commercializing the HAMR and GSD applied sciences with Hyperion Metals. These applied sciences have produced titanium steel and powders that persistently met the purity necessities outlined by trade requirements and so they have the potential to considerably decrease the prices and carbon emissions of manufacturing titanium steel and powders.
These applied sciences have the capability to drastically alter the titanium, stainless-steel and aluminum markets and enhance the vary of functions for prime efficiency, light-weight and low-cost titanium elements.”
Titanium powders for 3D printing / additive manufacturing
Titanium has distinctive materials properties together with excessive power, gentle weight, superior corrosion resistance and main biocompatibility versus different metals.
Producing top quality spherical powders from titanium and titanium alloys is without doubt one of the crucial constructing blocks for the quickly rising, industrial scale, 3D printing / additive manufacturing sectors.
Additive manufacturing with titanium can present many advantages to the medical, aerospace, EV, house and protection sectors, together with;
- Enhanced efficiency and sustainability by producing robust, light-weight elements which have excessive ranges of corrosion resistance and are 100% recyclable
- Diminished manufacturing lead instances by way of iterative, software program led design and speedy printing
- Diminished waste and value of manufacturing an element – with scrap charges of lower than 10% in comparison with over 90% for advanced milled elements
- In medical functions, titanium powders permit the speedy manufacturing of made-to-measure medical implants which can be robust, light-weight, and critically, biocompatible.
To comprehend the advantages of using titanium powders, they should meet very excessive chemical and bodily requirements. This not solely pertains to excessive titanium or titanium alloy purities with low oxygen and different deleterious parts however bodily properties of excessive sphericity, particular particle dimension distribution and flowability. Therefore, these powders are usually produced by way of advanced, put up processing strategies following on from the manufacturing of excessive purity titanium steel ingot or wire manufacturing.
Spherical titanium powder manufacturing challenges
The excessive value of titanium spherical powders has curtailed its use in additive manufacturing for merchandise that require its superior properties of strength-to-weight ratio, corrosion resistance and biocompatibility.
The value of titanium steel is roughly $8,500 per ton1, with the worth of titanium spherical powder appropriate for 3D printing probably over $300,000 per ton1.
The present industrial processes for producing titanium spherical powders embrace gasoline atomization, plasma atomization and the plasma rotating electrode course of.
High-quality spherical powders could be produced with gasoline atomization and plasma atomization strategies however, after dimension classification, the product yield is low. The plasma rotating electrode course of produces titanium powder with good purity and wonderful spherical form, however the particle dimension is bigger than required for a lot of functions.
The limiting think about all three processes is low product yield for fantastic powder, which is without doubt one of the most important technical causes for the very excessive value of titanium powder utilized in additive manufacturing.
GSD – Breakthrough spherical powder know-how
Granulation-sintering-deoxygenation (GSD) is a thermochemical course of for producing spherical titanium powders utilized in 3D printing and additive manufacturing and was invented by Dr. Z. Zak Fang and his workforce on the College of Utah.
The GSD know-how considerably improves the yield, by as much as 50%, and produces a spherical powder with low oxygen, controllable particle dimension and wonderful flowability.
The GSD manufacturing course of steps are:
- Titanium steel or alloy is hydrogenated to make friable hydride and is then milled into fantastic particles
- The fantastic hydride particles are granulated into spherical granules within the desired dimension vary utilizing spray-drying
- The spherical granules are sintered to provide densified spherical titanium powder
- The densified spherical titanium powder is deoxygenated with magnesium to scale back the oxygen content material to product specs
The GSD know-how also can introduce fascinating alloying elements with the titanium hydride powder made in Step 1 to make titanium alloys. For instance, titanium hydride powder could be blended with aluminum and vanadium powders to create the broadly used alloy Ti-6Al-4V. Different alloying parts for titanium embrace Fe, Nb, Zr and Mo.
Importantly, the supply materials may also be recycled titanium scrap materials. The manufacturing of titanium parts and buildings can generate a considerable amount of titanium machining chips (this ‘scrap’ could be over 90% for advanced historically milled elements). This scrap titanium could be sorted, cleaned, and ready for processing because the supply materials in Step 1 above. This recycling pathway for the GSD know-how can scale back prices and considerably enhance the sustainability of titanium steel manufacturing.
Electrode Course of
Desk 1: Abstract of powder traits by manufacturing course of2,3
Hyperion already holds an unique license for the patented HAMR know-how that may be a confirmed methodology for the manufacturing of titanium steel with considerably much less power than the present Kroll course of. This know-how was additionally developed by Professor Zak Fang and his workforce on the College of Utah with funding from the US Division of Power.
The HAMR know-how has efficiently produced titanium steel at pilot plant scale at product qualities that exceed present trade requirements. Detailed economic-energy evaluation and course of simulations point out that the HAMR course of makes use of ~50% much less power than the Kroll course of, and provides a path to dropping the price of titanium by roughly 50%. Utilizing renewable electrical energy, it might produce zero carbon titanium steel.
The mixture of the 2 patented applied sciences – GSD and HAMR – plus the appearance of broad scale industrial 3D printing capabilities provides a compelling market alternative.
The profitable scale up of those applied sciences may probably produce zero-carbon spherical titanium powders at a fraction of the fee, with financial modelling indicating a discount in prices per ton of over 75%. Oak Ridge Nationwide Laboratories reviews that 3D printing can minimize down producers’ use of uncooked supplies by as much as 90%. This quantum of effectivity and value discount wouldn’t simply disrupt the titanium market, but in addition the far bigger aluminum and stainless-steel markets.
Titanium competes with metals akin to aluminum and stainless-steel for power, and corrosion resistance, and whereas there are a number of different metals with wonderful properties in these functions, none have the identical mixed superior properties of power, weight and corrosive resistance as titanium.
The scale of the worldwide titanium major steel market is ~US$4.2bn pa4. The scale of the manufactured titanium half market, which might be the related comparator for additive manufacturing with titanium powders, is a a number of of US$4.2bn pa. The worldwide major stainless-steel market is ~US$115bn pa5 and the aluminum market ~US$150bn pa6,7.
Titanium is a superior steel for a variety of high-performance functions within the aerospace, medical, house and protection sectors. It’s only value that has held it again from getting used for its superior properties in bigger client markets akin to the worldwide transportation trade.
The patented HAMR and GSD applied sciences have the potential to offer a step change within the titanium provide chain course of by way of eliminating course of phases, decreasing power consumption, decreasing carbon emissions and considerably reducing prices. Hyperion believes these breakthrough applied sciences supply a pathway to create the bottom value, lowest carbon titanium parts globally.
- Q3 2021: Produce titanium powders on the Blacksand Know-how’s manufacturing facility in Salt Lake Metropolis, Utah, for buyer and accomplice testing
- Q3 2021: Begin techno-economic research for the dimensions up of the HAMR and GSD titanium metals and powders manufacturing facility
- This fall 2021: Bulk pattern from Titan venture transformed into titanium steel and powders utilizing HAMR and GSD applied sciences
- H1 2022: Completion of techno-economic research and FID for manufacturing scale HAMR and GSD plant
Dr. Z. Zak Fang Biography
Dr. Zak Fang presently serves as a Program Director on the Superior Analysis Tasks Company-Power (ARPA-E). His focus at ARPA-E is on superior supplies and manufacturing applied sciences for power manufacturing, storage, and effectivity functions.
Previous to becoming a member of ARPA-E, Fang served as a Professor in Metallurgical Engineering on the College of Utah. There, he led various modern analysis tasks and was acknowledged with an R&D 100 Award for his efforts. He’s additionally a serial inventor and entrepreneur. He has based two small know-how companies and is the only or co-inventor on greater than 50 U.S. patents. Previous to becoming a member of the college on the College of Utah, he held numerous technical and administration positions in various industrial firms, together with Smith Worldwide.
Dr. Fang earned a B.S. and M.S. in Supplies Science and Engineering from the College of Science and Know-how Beijing and a PhD in Supplies Science and Engineering from the College of Alabama at Birmingham. He’s additionally a Fellow of the Nationwide Academy of Inventors, ASM Worldwide, and APMI Worldwide.
Additional info for Dr. Fang could be discovered on the College of Utah’s web site: (https://faculty.utah.edu/u0320607-ZHIGANG_ZAK_FANG/hm/index.hml)
Dr. Fang is the founder and Chief Know-how Officer of Blacksand Applied sciences, LLC.
Key Patents and References
- Z. Zak Fang et al., Powder metallurgy strategies for the manufacturing of fantastic and ultrafine grain Ti and Ti alloys, US patent 9,816,157 B2
- Z. Zak Fang et al., Strategies of manufacturing a titanium product, US Patent App. 14/935,245
- Ying Zhang et al., Strategies of deoxygenating metals having oxygen dissolved therein in a strong resolution, US Patent 9,669,464
- Z. Zak Fang et al., Manufacturing of Considerably Spherical Metallic Powders, US Patent 9,421,612
- Ying Zhang et al., Strategies of deoxygenating metals having oxygen dissolved therein in a strong resolution, US Patent 9,669,464
- Pei Solar et al., A Novel Technique for Manufacturing of Spherical Ti-6Al-4V for Additive Manufacturing, Powder Know-how, 301(2016):331-335.
- Ying Zhang et al., Thermodynamic destabilization of Ti-O strong resolution by H2 and de-oxygenation of Ti utilizing Mg, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 138(2016):6916-6919.
Blacksand Know-how LLC is positioned in Salt Lake Metropolis, Utah, and is a supplies innovation firm based in 2013 by Dr. Z. Zak Fang, Professor of Supplies Science and Engineering of the College of Utah.
Blacksand is the worldwide unique licensee from the College of Utah for proprietary & patented applied sciences to provide low-cost powders to be used in additive manufacturing and close to internet form manufacturing of steel elements.
Blacksand’s patented applied sciences produce spherical and non-spherical titanium and its alloys, stainless-steel powders, and refractory steel alloy powders. Core competencies of Blacksand Know-how embrace experience on metallic supplies manufacturing processes, steel powders synthesis, characterization, processing, sintering, and mechanical properties. Blacksand Know-how’s experience covers titanium, refractory metals, onerous supplies, and different specialty alloys.
Blacksand’s manufacturing and testing amenities in Salt Lake Metropolis can produce spherical titanium and titanium steel alloy powders. Testing capabilities embrace particle dimension and form distribution characterization, chemical compositions, microstructure characterization utilizing optical microscope and scanning electron microscopy, and the mechanical and erosion testing of steel elements.
About Hyperion Metals
Hyperion’s mission is to be the main developer of zero carbon, sustainable, crucial materials provide chains for superior American industries together with house, aerospace, electrical autos and 3D printing.
The Firm holds a 100% curiosity within the Titan Venture, masking practically 6,000 acres of titanium, uncommon earth minerals, excessive grade silica sand and zircon wealthy mineral sands properties in Tennessee, USA. The Titan Venture is strategically positioned within the southeast of the USA, with low-cost street, rail and water logistics connecting it to world class manufacturing industries.
Hyperion has secured choices for the unique license to provide low carbon titanium steel and spherical powers utilizing the breakthrough HAMR & GSD applied sciences. The HAMR & GSD applied sciences had been invented by Dr. Z. Zak Fang and his workforce on the College of Utah with authorities funding from ARPA-E.
The HAMR know-how has demonstrated the potential to provide titanium powders with low-to-zero carbon depth, considerably decrease power consumption, considerably decrease value and at product qualities which exceed present trade requirements. The GSD know-how is a thermochemical course of combining low value feedstock materials with excessive yield manufacturing, and may produce spherical titanium and titanium alloy powders at a fraction of the price of comparable industrial powders.
Hyperion additionally has signed an MOU to determine a partnership with Power Fuels (NYSE:UUUU) that goals to construct an built-in, all-American uncommon earths provide chain. The MOU will consider the potential provide of uncommon earth minerals from Hyperion’s Titan Venture to Power Fuels for worth added processing at Power Fuels’ White Mesa Mill. Uncommon earths are extremely valued as crucial supplies for magnet manufacturing important for wind generators, EVs, client electronics and army functions.
1 Roskill – Titanium Metallic Outlook to 2030
2 Metallic AM, An introduction to steel powders for AM: Manufacturing processes and properties, https://www.metal-am.com/articles/metal-powders-for-3d-printing-manufacturing-processes-and-properties/
3 Iver E. Anderson, Emma M.H. White, Ryan Dehoff, Feedstock powder processing analysis wants for additive manufacturing growth, Present Opinion in Stable State and Supplies Science, Quantity 22, Concern 1, 2018, Pages 8-15
4 Roskill Titanium Metallic 10 Version Replace 1 – November 2020
5 Alcoa Company Investor Presentation, Might 2021
6 Outokumpu, https://www.outokumpu.com/en/investors/outokumpu-as-an-investment/operating-environment
7 MEPS, https://www.meps.co.uk/gb/en/products/world-stainless-steel-prices