7.5 C
New York
Thursday, April 3, 2025
pCloud Premium

‘Get me out of here’: Hamas releases video of Israeli hostage Elkana Bohbot pleading for freedom


Hamas’s armed wing on Saturday released a video showing an Israeli hostage, Elkana Bohbot, pleading for his release. Bohbot, who was abducted from a music festival in southern Israel during Hamas’s October 7, 2023, attack, appears in the footage calling on the Israeli government to secure his freedom. The three-minute video, spoken in Hebrew, is the second hostage footage shared by Hamas in recent days.

The Hostages and Missing Families Forum confirmed Bohbot’s identity, stating that he was seen earlier this week in another video alongside captive Yosef Haim Ohana. AFP stated that it was unable to verify the exact date and location of the latest footage.

Hostage fears for his life

In the newly released video, Bohbot expresses his concerns over Israeli airstrikes in Gaza and the danger they pose to the hostages. He appeals to the government for his release, saying he wishes to be reunited with his wife and son.

Since Israel resumed its offensive on March 18 after a temporary ceasefire, Hamas has warned that continued military actions could endanger the lives of the remaining hostages.

Of the 251 individuals taken captive during the October 7 attack, 58 are still held in Gaza, with the Israeli military stating that 34 of them are presumed dead.

Growing calls for a ceasefire

Israel’s renewed military campaign in Gaza has resulted in significant casualties, with nearly a dozen people killed on Saturday alone, according to the region’s civil defense agency. The hostilities have led to mounting calls for a renewed ceasefire agreement.

Bassem Naim, a senior Hamas official, stated that ceasefire negotiations were gaining momentum. “We hope that the coming days will bring a real breakthrough in the war situation, following intensified communications with and between mediators in recent days,” Naim said in a statement on Friday.

Protests in Israel for hostage release

On Saturday evening, thousands of Israelis gathered in Tel Aviv, demanding that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government reach a deal to bring the hostages home. Some of the demonstrators included former hostages and relatives of those still in captivity.

“Soon, Israel will celebrate Passover … I wish for us to be able to hold the seder night with the hostages, who must return so that we can truly celebrate a real festival,” said Yair Horn, a former hostage whose brother Eitan remains in Gaza. “Prime Minister … let’s reach a deal without fighting.”

The upcoming Jewish festival of Passover, known as the “holiday of freedom,” is traditionally marked by a family meal where the Haggadah is read, symbolising liberation. Many protesters emphasised that true celebration would only be possible if all hostages were safely returned home.

Also Read | Israel Sends Counter-Proposal on Gaza Deal, Moves Into Rafah

Israel-Hamas ceasefire: What’s next

The first phase of the Israel-Hamas ceasefire began on January 19 after 15 months of conflict, halting hostilities, securing the release of some Israeli hostages held by Hamas, and freeing certain Palestinian prisoners.

The second phase aims to negotiate the release of the remaining hostages and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza. Hamas insists any proposals must initiate this phase, while Israel has proposed extending the initial 42-day truce.

Also Read | ‘Hamas get out’: Gaza protests, Netanyahu says ‘offensive is working’

According to Palestinian officials, Israel’s offensive has resulted in over 50,000 Palestinian deaths. The conflict began after Hamas-led gunmen launched an attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, killing 1,200 people and abducting 251, according to Israeli figures.

(With AFP inputs)

Catch all the Business News , Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.

Business NewsNewsWorld‘Get me out of here’: Hamas releases video of Israeli hostage Elkana Bohbot pleading for freedom

MoreLess



Source link

Odisha Expo
Odisha Expohttps://www.odishaexpo.com
Odisha Expo is one of the Largest News Aggregator of Odisha, Stay Updated about the latest news with Odisha Expo from around the world. Stay hooked for more updates.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
Best Lifetime Deals on SaaSspot_img

Latest Articles

Premier League Returns as Liverpool Nears Historic 20th Title

0
The English Premier League resumes after a two-week break, with Liverpool leading the table at 70 points, 12 ahead of Arsenal. Nottingham Forest...

Trump’s tariff bombardment sends global markets reeling

0
World stock markets and oil prices tumbled and investors dashed to the relative safety of bonds, gold and the yen Thursday, as President Donald Trump’s...

Grand National 2025: Runners confirmed for Aintree race as final line-up named

0
McManus is seeking a record fourth victory for an owner in the race with I Am Maximus, and he also has leading hopefuls...

White House to move forward with real eggs for Easter Egg Roll

0
WASHINGTON — The annual White House tradition of rolling Easter eggs across the South Lawn is expected to proceed this year despite concern...

Australia’s new Olympic chief hopes to use 2032 in battle for talent – Sport

0
MELBOURNE: Inco­ming Australian Olympic Comm­ittee (AOC) chief Mark Arbib hopes the 2032 Brisbane Games will persuade the nation’s talented young athletes to pursue...