Following Auburn’s recent firing of Gus Malzahn, the Tigers are nonetheless looking for a brand new head coach.
Malzahn had been the varsity’s head coach since 2013 and led Auburn to seven consecutive bowl recreation appearances previous to this season. This 12 months, the Tigers completed the common season 6–4, which marked the second-worst season in Malzahn’s tenure with this system by way of profitable share. He went 68–35 general and 39–27 within the SEC in eight years at Auburn.
The coaching rumor mill quickly began buzzing inside the first 30 hours after Malzahn’s firing on Dec. 13. Athletic director Allen Greene despatched a letter to donors saying the search to switch Malzahn was underway. Auburn employed Atlanta-based search agency Parker Govt Search, whereas president Jay Gogue shaped a search committee.
The Tigers are set to play Northwestern on Jan. 1 within the VRBO Citrus Bowl. Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele will function the staff’s interim head coach.
With the search nonetheless ongoing, take a look at the most recent information and rumors surrounding Auburn’s hunt for a everlasting head coach:
- Following Auburn’s dialogue with Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables on Monday, he has advised Clemson officers that he is staying. Venables has labored as an assistant at Clemson for 9 years, and his two sons, Tyler and Jake, presently play for this system. (Pete Thamel, Yahoo Sports)
- UAB coach Invoice Clark is not a candidate for the Auburn job. The Tigers’ curiosity in Clark grew after Billy Napier and Steve Sarkisian each dropped out of the search. Auburn reportedly reached out to Clark late final week and he talked with the varsity once more over the weekend. (Brandon Marcello, 247 Sports)
- Auburn interim head coach Kevin Steele “seems to be out” as a head teaching candidate. (Dennis Dodd, CBS Sports)
- Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian additionally emerged as a potential candidate however didn’t interview over the weekend as anticipated. He’s no longer being considered for the job. (Alabama Undercover)
- Louisiana coach Billy Napier pulled his identify out of consideration after being within the working. Ragin’ Cajuns athletic director Bryan Maggard reaffirmed Napier’s dedication to this system in a statement on Monday.
- Auburn has contacted Liberty coach Hugh Freeze about its job opening. (Brandon Marcello, 247Sports)