7.5 C
New York
Thursday, April 3, 2025
pCloud Premium

‘JFK’ director Oliver Stone to testify to Congress about the newly released assassination files



nebula cms fallback logos nbcnews 81f6e4

Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone, whose 1991 film “JFK” portrayed President John F. Kennedy’s assassination as the work of a shadowy government conspiracy, is set to testify to Congress on Tuesday about thousands of newly released government documents surrounding the killing.

Scholars say the files that President Donald Trump ordered to be released showed nothing undercutting the conclusion that a lone gunman killed Kennedy. Many documents were previously released but contained newly removed redactions, including Social Security numbers, angering people whose personal information was disclosed.

The first hearing of the House Task Force on the Declassification of Federal Secrets comes five decades after the Warren Commission investigation concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald, a 24-year-old former Marine, acted alone in fatally shooting Kennedy as his motorcade finished a parade route in downtown Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963.

Republican Rep. Anna Paulina Luna of Florida, who chairs the task force, said last month that she wants to work with writers and researchers to help solve “one of the biggest cold case files in U.S. history.” Scholars and historians haven’t viewed the assassination as a cold case, viewing the evidence for Oswald as a lone gunman as strong.

Stone’s “JFK” was nominated for eight Oscars, including best picture, and won two. It grossed more than $200 million but was also dogged by questions about its factuality.

The last formal congressional investigation of Kennedy’s assassination ended in 1978, when a House committee issued a report concluding that the Soviet Union, Cuba, organized crime, the CIA and the FBI weren’t involved, but Kennedy “probably was assassinated as a result of a conspiracy.” In 1976, a Senate committee said it had not uncovered enough evidence “to justify a conclusion that there was a conspiracy.”

The Warren Commission, appointed by Kennedy’s successor, President Lyndon B. Johnson, concluded that Oswald fired on Kennedy’s motorcade from a sniper’s perch on the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository, where Oswald worked. Police arrested Oswald within 90 minutes, and two days later, Jack Ruby, a nightclub owner, shot Oswald during a jail transfer broadcast on live television.

For Tuesday’s hearing, the task force also invited Jefferson Morley and James DiEugenio, who both have written books arguing for conspiracies behind the assassination. Morley is editor of the JFK Facts blog and vice president of the Mary Ferrell Foundation, a repository for files related to the assassination. He has praised Luna as being open to new information surrounding the killing.



Source link

Odisha Expo
Odisha Expohttps://www.odishaexpo.com
Odisha Expo is one of the Largest News Aggregator of Odisha, Stay Updated about the latest news with Odisha Expo from around the world. Stay hooked for more updates.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
Best Lifetime Deals on SaaSspot_img

Latest Articles

Premier League Returns as Liverpool Nears Historic 20th Title

0
The English Premier League resumes after a two-week break, with Liverpool leading the table at 70 points, 12 ahead of Arsenal. Nottingham Forest...

Trump’s tariff bombardment sends global markets reeling

0
World stock markets and oil prices tumbled and investors dashed to the relative safety of bonds, gold and the yen Thursday, as President Donald Trump’s...

Grand National 2025: Runners confirmed for Aintree race as final line-up named

0
McManus is seeking a record fourth victory for an owner in the race with I Am Maximus, and he also has leading hopefuls...

White House to move forward with real eggs for Easter Egg Roll

0
WASHINGTON — The annual White House tradition of rolling Easter eggs across the South Lawn is expected to proceed this year despite concern...

Australia’s new Olympic chief hopes to use 2032 in battle for talent – Sport

0
MELBOURNE: Inco­ming Australian Olympic Comm­ittee (AOC) chief Mark Arbib hopes the 2032 Brisbane Games will persuade the nation’s talented young athletes to pursue...