7.2 C
New York
Thursday, April 3, 2025
pCloud Premium

What we know about the Israel-Hamas ceasefire — and what it means for Gaza



250116 gaza mb 0848 54d663

TEL AVIV — A ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas has been reached after 15 months of devastating war that has seen tens of thousands of people killed in Gaza, left scores of Israeli hostages in painful limbo, and changed the face of the Middle East.

The truce, announced Wednesday, is expected to stop the Israeli bombardment of Gaza Strip that has killed more than 46,500 people, according to local health officials. It will also see the phased release of dozens of hostages captured during the Oct. 7 2023 terror attack still being held in Gaza, as well as the release of hundreds of Palestinians detained by Israel.

Hundreds of trucks of desperately needed aid are also expected to start entering the enclave every day once the ceasefire comes into force.

Here’s what we know so far about the three-phase deal: 

What happens first? 

The agreement outlines a roughly six-week initial ceasefire phase that could begin as early as the end of the week, a diplomatic source in Washington told NBC News.

Before the deal can get underway, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will have to get approval from his security Cabinet and his full Cabinet. Israel’s Supreme Court would have 24 hours to permit an appeal.

Follow live updates

The earliest a ceasefire could go into effect would be Friday, the diplomatic source said, though the truce is expected to begin Sunday if Netanyahu’s security Cabinet and the full government Cabinet give the go ahead.

It is unclear when the Israeli Cabinet will convene, however, with Netanyahu’s office on Thursday reporting a delay, accusing Hamas of reneging on part of the deal and creating a “last-minute crisis.”

The Directorate of Abductees, Returnees and Missing Persons in the Prime Minister’s Office said in a separate statement Thursday that Hamas had added demands that “contradict the agreement” with mediators.

In an interview with Saudi state-owned television channel Al Arabiya, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri denied that, saying there was “no basis” for claims the group had “backed down from the terms of the ceasefire agreement.”



Source link

Odisha Expo
Odisha Expohttps://www.odishaexpo.com
Odisha Expo is one of the Largest News Aggregator of Odisha, Stay Updated about the latest news with Odisha Expo from around the world. Stay hooked for more updates.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
Best Lifetime Deals on SaaSspot_img

Latest Articles

Intel Core Ultra 200S Series: Revolutionizing Gaming and Creative Performance

0
Intel's latest desktop processors, the Intel Core Ultra 200S Series (Arrow Lake-S), are set to redefine performance for gamers and creators. Offering a...

Rock Bridge baseball sweeps Smith-Cotton in first CMAC series – Columbia Missourian

0
Rock Bridge baseball sweeps Smith-Cotton in first CMAC series  Columbia Missourian Source link

Man says son was stabbed in the heart at Texas track meet, died in...

0
A high school student was charged with murder after Frisco, Texas, police said he fatally stabbed another student during a confrontation at a...

Douglas Luiz Faces Uncertain Future at Juventus

0
Douglas Luiz has eight games to prove himself at Juventus after struggling with injuries and form since joining from Aston Villa. The club...

College student who became subject of viral rumor says incident has ‘ruined’ her life

0
A University of Mississippi student who was the subject of an internet rumor is navigating the fallout after she says the lie, which...